Outdoor rugs can add warmth and color to any patio or deck, but they are also prone to getting dirty, especially from pet messes. Traditional carpet cleaners often contain harsh chemicals that can damage the fibers of the outdoor rug and cause it to fade or discolor. This is particularly true for outdoor rugs made from natural materials such as jute or sisal. Enzymatic cleaners are a gentle and effective solution for removing pet messes from outdoor rugs without causing any damage. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of enzymatic cleaners and how to use them to keep your outdoor rug clean and fresh.
What is an Enzymatic Cleaner?
nzymatic cleaners are cleaning products that contain natural enzymes that break down organic matter such as pet urine, feces, and vomit. These enzymes work by breaking down the proteins in the organic matter, effectively eliminating the stain and odor. Enzymatic cleaners are typically made from a blend of different types of enzymes, each designed to break down a specific type of organic matter.
Enzymatic cleaners are highly effective because they work at the molecular level to break down the proteins that cause stains and odors. The enzymes in the cleaner are specifically designed to match the protein structure of the organic matter they are meant to break down, making them highly effective in removing even the toughest stains and odors. Unlike traditional cleaners that simply mask odors with fragrances, enzymatic cleaners completely eliminate the odor by breaking down the source of the odor. Additionally, enzymatic cleaners are non-toxic, making them safe for use around children and pets.
Their Application for Outdoors
Outdoor rugs are a popular choice for patios and decks, as they can add color and texture to the space while being durable enough to withstand exposure to the elements. However, they can quickly become soiled with dirt, grime, and pet messes, and while regular vacuuming and spot cleaning can help keep the rug clean, sometimes you need something more powerful to remove tough stains and odors.
- 1 gallon bottle of multi-purpose enzyme cleaning solution for a wide variety of surfaces and environments – use on carpets, furniture, hardwood, tile, drains, liter boxes, garbage cans, RVs and more
- Breaks up complex organic proteins, pet smells and stains, grease, oils, and more for effective results
- Powerful enzymatic formula removes stains and odors deep in the carpet
- Attack grease, fats and other organic matter that cause slow drains and unpleasant odors - not a hazardous, caustic drain opener effective on bathroom clogs from hair
- Non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-acidic, and non-caustic with a fresh mint sc
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
When it comes to cleaning outdoor rugs, it’s important to choose a product that is safe for the rug’s fibers and won’t cause any damage. Many traditional carpet cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can bleach or discolor outdoor rugs, making them look dull and faded. This is especially true for rugs made from natural materials like jute or sisal, which are more prone to damage from harsh chemicals.
As mentioned earlier, enzymatic cleaners are a good option for cleaning outdoor rugs because they are gentle on the fibers and won’t cause any discoloration. Enzymes are naturally occurring proteins that break down organic matter like pet urine, feces, and vomit. When an enzymatic cleaner is applied to a pet mess, the enzymes go to work breaking down the proteins in the mess, effectively eliminating the stain and odor.
Enzymatic cleaners come in both spray and liquid form and can be used on a variety of outdoor rug materials, including synthetic and natural fibers. To use an enzymatic cleaner, simply spray or pour the solution onto the affected area and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the enzymes to break down the mess. Then, blot the area with a clean cloth or paper towel to remove the cleaner and the stain.
When using an enzymatic cleaner on an outdoor rug, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Some cleaners may need to be diluted with water before use, while others may require multiple applications to completely remove the stain and odor. Additionally, it’s a good idea to test the cleaner on an inconspicuous area of the rug first to ensure that it doesn’t cause any discoloration or damage.
Here are some tips for safely and effectively using an enzymatic cleaner on an outdoor rug:
- Test the cleaner first: Before using an enzymatic cleaner on your outdoor rug, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the rug first to ensure that it won’t cause any discoloration or damage.
- Remove any solids first: If there are any solids on the rug, such as pet feces, pick them up with a plastic bag or paper towel and dispose of them before applying the cleaner.
- Apply the cleaner generously: Apply the enzymatic cleaner generously to the affected area, making sure to saturate the stain. Allow the cleaner to sit for the recommended amount of time (typically 10-15 minutes) to allow the enzymes to break down the organic matter.
- Blot the area: After the cleaner has had time to work, blot the area with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel to remove the cleaner and the stain. Avoid rubbing the area, as this can damage the fibers of the rug.
- Rinse the area: If the enzymatic cleaner leaves any residue on the rug, rinse the area thoroughly with water and blot it dry with a clean cloth.
- Repeat if necessary: For stubborn stains, you may need to repeat the process several times to completely eliminate the stain and odor.
- Allow the rug to dry completely: After cleaning the rug, allow it to dry completely before using it again. Avoid walking on the rug until it is completely dry, as this can damage the fibers of the rug.
So, as we can see, enzymatic cleaners are a safe and effective solution for cleaning outdoor rugs that have been soiled by pet messes.
Unlike traditional carpet cleaners that contain harsh chemicals that can damage the fibers of the rug, they use natural enzymes to break down organic matter, effectively eliminating stains and odors without causing any discoloration or damage to the rug.
By following the tips outlined in this article, you can safely and effectively use an enzymatic cleaner to keep your outdoor rug clean and fresh, helping to extend its lifespan and maintain its appearance for years to come. With enzymatic cleaners, you can enjoy the benefits of a beautiful outdoor rug without having to worry about the messes that come with pet ownership.